Aging in Place: Bathroom Remodeling in Washington DC
You love your home, and you want to live in it for the rest of your life; therefore, you want to “age in place.” “Aging in place” accommodations are based on a concept called “universal design,” or the belief that design should serve the broadest range of people. These designs put an emphasis on removing impediments, and providing supports for residents of all ages.
How will this kind of bathroom remodeling change your Washington DC home?
- Improved lighting, to help with eyesight as you grow older.
- Thresholds will be limited to a quarter-inch difference between different types of floors, to prevent trips and falls.
- Doorways will be widened to 36 inches, to easily accommodate a wheelchair.
- The shower will have little or no lip to make it accessible even for a user in a wheelchair.
- You may have a built-in bench in the shower, as well as a shower head that’s mounted to a rail, that enables the user to adjust the height of the shower head even if they’re seated. You may want to add a hand-held flexible shower head.
- You bathroom should allow a 5-foot turning radius to accommodate a wheelchair
- Your bathroom sink or counter will allow wheelchair users to roll under it with ease.
- You should consider adding a tilting mirror above the counter or lavatory in the bathroom for people using a wheelchair.
- Plumbing under a bathroom lavatory or sink must be wrapped or covered with trim carpentry to protect a wheelchair user from bumping into hot pipes.
- Grab bars also are a must in your new bathroom, and they must be capable of supporting 250 to 300 pounds.
- Replace knobs with lever handles in the bathroom, because knobs can be difficult to twist for those who are suffering from arthritis.
Hanlon Design Build wants your home to age as gracefully as you will. As the experts in bathroom remodeling in Washington DC, Hanlon Design Build will work with you to deliver a bathroom remodeling design and build in your Washington DC home that is both beautiful and accessible. Please contact Hanlon Design Build at 202-244-2942.
Leave a Reply